Tuesday 13 July 2010

The Build up

 Since my engagement in Dec 08, I have been attempting to make all sorts of odd things like pom poms and heart garlands, been obsessed (which turned into jealously) with many a wedding blog, and chit chatting, I am sure rather boringly, to anyone who will listen about my impending wedding.

The pom poms went wrong, very, and so I ordered (rather hastily, a week before BIG day) some dreamy, properly made ones from the US.

                                © pom love

Aren't these adorable, and there are plenty more where they came from http://pomloveonetsy.blogspot.com/ in every colour you need.

The vats of bubbling chilli jam for the favours were a better success, as I am already in tune with the hot sticky stuff, although I possibly burnt a few bits and bobs through lack of stirring every 10 minutes, oops. I even made my own labels for the individual pots. I do sell my chilli jam and have a little site - www.jammypodgers.com which is basically one page, but I'd just like to say, I'd be delighted to sell you a jar of my produce!

    © Malou

And I had the romantic idea of stringing up heart garlands made from the pages of Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy - this took up several evenings and became less romantic after getting through 2 editions and 3 rolls of garden twine, it just became a bore BUT I think it was worth it for all the lovely compliments on the day.

    © Malou

However, I did enjoy writing out the place names (all 130 odd) with my favourite Lamy pen, being a complete stationery nerd - one doesn't get to use a pen much these days, unless they write letters, which most don't, including lazy me. I bought thousands of luggage tags on ebay, and merrily wrote out names in my best calligraphy which isn't very good, and made lots of mistakes.

                              © Malou

and my friend and chief bridesmaid Demelza had lots fun tying them to rosemary! 

Sorry Demelza!

It wasn't long (like a few days) after my engagement, before I knew what flowers I wanted, I've probably banged on about it here. But I'll just mention again peonies, sweet peas, cow parsley, corn flowers, ranunculus and roses, oh yeah! And these were to be languishing rather haphazardly, or certainly not in neat and perfect arrangements in lots of ribbony jam jars on the tables. 





All sorts of glass jars were collected (interestingly mine mainly consisted of peanut butter shaped ones) over the months and tea lights, their holders and paper lanterns were ordered.







I also bought (and Stitch consumed) a huge amount of old fashioned penny sweets for the tables




We, the Bride and Groom DO NOT LIKE, in any form or fashion, suet, currants, raisins (ok, if hidden in flapjacks etc) or sultanas so...... no wedding cake please (or Christmas or Christening). 

Instead, lets make cupcakes!!






These large brown phallic iced affairs are Stitch's - I think they depict typical man-made structures, although nicely set off with pink sparkles.



Mine were turquoise and pink with girly hearts, edible butterflies and shiny ball balls.


As well as cupcakes, a cake of cheese was also on the menu, a present from my brother Jools, who used to work for the Fine Cheese Company.

Now this excited me! Large slabs of delicious British cheeses - a fine Montgomery cheddar, a creamy blue Stilton and a ripened, deliciously squidgy Brie de Meux. Yum.




My silly brother making me laugh with the cheddar wrapper on his head a la our Uncle Johnny.



Exciting.....










No comments:

Post a Comment